As many of you probably know, Epic Games has struggled with Apple in a lawsuit that recently received a ruling, concluding that the App Store was not a monopoly but that Apple should allow links to alternative payment systems for apps. Then Epic appealed the decision and now Apple has banned Fortnite gaming from the App Store until the appeal process is complete, which could take five years. reports the New York Post.
Fortnite banned from app store for potentially 5 years
If you wished that after the end of the trial the Fornite game would return to iOS and the App Store, unfortunately, that will not happen, as it seems. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney posted on Twitter the letter the company received from the Cupertino giant. The letter says Apple will not reconsider any further requests to restore the game creator’s developer account until the court ruling becomes final and without appeal. And that process could mean up to 5 years without Fortnite on iOS.
Tim Sweeney has stated that from now on, the Fornite game is going to be blacklisted from the App Store for a process that could take 5 years. He also pointed out that previously Apple had claimed that once the developers of Fornite started playing by the rules like everyone else, Cupertino would host the Fortnite game. He then said that Apple lied because Epic had agreed to play by the rules.
The Epic letter received from Apple
Epic has opposed Apple’s “anti-competitive behavior”, the infamous “Apple Tax” and even some recent Google practices.
It all started in the summer of last year when Epic Games’ popular Fornite game began including a direct payment link that would bypass the App Store fees levied on every purchase. These fees are what is sadly known as the “Apple Tax” – a 30% tax levied on every purchase made through the App Store. Of course, by bypassing that payment system, Epic was breaking the terms and conditions of its developer contract with Apple, and soon after, Apple hit back.
The Cupertino giant removed the Fortnite game from the App Store and then deactivated Epic Games’ developer account when the company refused to comply with the giant’s demands. Epic took it to court and filed a lawsuit against Apple, the 30% commission, and the monopoly the App Store had over developers.
The trial continued until September 10, 2021, when Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers made her ruling on this and concluded it all in a 185-page decision. The judge basically allowed third-party developers to include links to other shopping systems alongside the App Store payment system. Nonetheless, the judge ruled that Epic had broken its contract with Apple and still had to pay the aforementioned amount to Cupertino for the money made by circumventing the rules of the App Store.