8-year-old schoolboy interrupts Minecraft game to save grandma’s life after she chokes on a scone

0


Young rescuer Billy White calmly dislodged the cake by slapping her on the back – then returned to playing Minecraft

Video upload

Video unavailable

8-year-old boy who saved his grandmother from suffocating with a scone tells an incredible story

A grandmother recounted the moment her eight-year-old grandson saved her life when she choked on a piece of cake.

Diane White was sure she wouldn’t make it when she accidentally lodged a piece of scone down her throat at her daughter Kate White’s house in Wells, Somerset, a fortnight ago.

Kate rushed to her aid but, seeing her mother struggling to catch her breath, knew she had to act fast.

She desperately called her son Billy who was playing Minecraft in another room and asked if he could do something.

Read more:



And, without thinking, the brave schoolboy leaned his grandmother forward and “slapped” her on the back with the heel of his hand.

Miraculously, the piece of scone flew out of her mouth, and Diane, though shaken, was left unharmed – and Billy returned to her game.

Today she praised her grandson for his bravery and gave him credit for saving his life.







Hero Billy White knew exactly what to do when his grandmother started choking
(

Picture:

St. John Ambulance)




Diane said: “I honestly think if Billy hadn’t come in when he did and knew exactly what to do, I would have died right away. I am very grateful to him.

“My whole body started to shake and Kate said ‘I’m going to call an ambulance’ and I thought I couldn’t do it.

“Then Bill came on the scene and wam, wam, wam, wam – I coughed and dislodged what it was.

“I’ve been shaking for ages, it was very scary but he’s a good boy and I’m glad I have him.

“I am very proud of him, we are both very proud.”

Billy spoke to Mirror Online about how he remembered using his training at Badgers, an after-school club run by St. John Ambulance.

Just three weeks before Diane’s accident, Billy learned to stop someone from choking by hitting their back and leaning them forward.

He recounted how he went on autopilot and “just knew what to do”.

Billy said, “Well I hit her five times on the back. I leaned her forward and didn’t have to tell her to cough because she was already coughing.

“I hit her on the shoulder blades but in the middle I could tell exactly where to hit, I just knew for some reason and I hit.”

Kate recounted how he got in and calmly saved his nanny, brought her a glass of water, and returned to playing Minecraft on her tablet.

She said: “I don’t think he really realized what he did.

Read more:



“It wasn’t until we called him back and said ‘Bill, did you know you just saved the life of a nanny?’ (which he realized). “

Billy said more children like him should learn to rescue because it “could save a lot of lives.”

Sue Killen, CEO of St John Ambulance, said: “Billy is a true hero and we are really proud of his actions. It’s a relief that he was able to call on his knowledge of first aid when it mattered most and, thankfully, save his grandmother’s life. Without his help, the story could be very different.

“Stories like Billy’s are a compelling example of why we need more young people to be equipped with basic first aid skills.

“We are urging teachers to register for our big live first aid lesson in June so that in one hour, for free, they can join schools across the country and learn basic life skills. direct savings. “

The family is supporting St. John’s Ambulance, which is hosting the big live first aid lesson on Friday, June 17.

It is a free, interactive hour-long program broadcast directly to classrooms and filmed in front of a live student audience.

It aims to teach lifesaving skills to young people aged 7-16 and will cover a range of topics including choking, chest pain, seizures and insect bites.

To find out more, visit www.sja.org.uk/bigfirstaidlesson


Share.

Leave A Reply